At a ‘better than usual’ edition of the annual Council of Fashion Designers (CFDA) awards ceremony held in Lincoln Center on Monday night, Lady Gaga was honored with a special award of her own.
Lady Gaga astounded the fashion-savvy crowd with an eye-popping head of “stop-light” green hair, a teensy black bustier which revealed not just the top half but the bottom half of her torso as well, and what appeared to be 12 inch black platform shoes. But never mind. Her words redirected the audience’s attention away from her green “do” and onto her garish wit.
Self-effacing is not what you would immediately think of when confronted with someone dressed the way Lady Gaga was, but humble she was.
“I can’t believe I’m allowed in here” she exclaimed to the audience, who responded with a roar of appreciative laughter. She offered her thanks to all the designers and fashion editors gathered in the hall for “Making me feel like a star before I was” one.
Lady Gaga then retold an anecdote which was also received with laughter. When the CFDA announced its intention to honor her, the editor of American Vogue, Anna Wintour, sent her a text message offering her congratulations. Thinking that the SMS came from a friend of Lady Gaga also named Anna, she sent her a reply which said, “Yes, bitch, we did it!”
When the laughter finally died down, Lady Gaga added that she received a reply from Anna which said, “How lovely.”
Here is the list of other winners honored:
- Women’s Designer of the Year: Proenza Schouler
- Men’s Designer of the Year: Michael Bastian
- Best accessories: Alexander Wang
- Swarovski Young Designer-women’s: Prabal Gurung
- Swarovski Young Designer–men’s: Robert Geller
- Swarovski Young Designer–accessories: Eddie Borgo
Special awards in addition to Lady Gaga’s were also bestowed:
- Arthur Elgort: photographer
- Hal Rubenstein: journalist
- Phoebe Philo of Celine: International Award
- Marc Jacobs: Lifetime achievement
- Hilary Alexander: fashion editor of the Daily Telegraph in London: Eugenia Sheppard Award